Early 18th century residents of Bordentown were largely Quakers. The Friends of Bordentown petitioned the Friends Meeting in Crosswicks to allow them to form their own meeting and build their own place of worship. In 1740, they built the structure still located on Farnsworth Avenue. Although the Bordentown Meeting was discontinued in 1904, the structure remains as the oldest house of worship in the city. It is now owned by and is the main base of operations of the Bordentown Historical Society.