Opened in November 1908, the first officers were Fredrick J. Potter, Samuel E. Burr, and William mcKay Morris. Joseph R. Deacon was hired as cashier. Located on Crosswicks Street, the business did so well that a new building needed to be constructed in 1914. In 1915, the city Board of Education bought the abandoned building, where it became the kindergarten. It later housed the typing building when the dislodged high school classes moved into the elementary school building after a fire in 1942. The building was later moved to Gilder Field.