Bordentown Historical Society Bsnner


Links
Downtown Bordentown
City of Bordentown

In The News

Grant Award from NJ Historic Trust - October 2017
Bordentown Historical Society is elated to share with our members and friends that the Society has been awarded a Level 1 Capital Grant from the Board of the NJ Historic Trust in the amount of
$88,110 for our overall roof replacement application.

Margaret Westfield of Westfield Architects and Preservation Consultants truly did a fabulous job guiding this proposal through the State Board. We anticipate  starting work on this project sometime early spring 2018.  In addition to this award we received a  very generous bequest from the Crosswicks Foundation of Crosswicks, NJ to also support  our roof project. We are very thankful to our supportive neighbors who also funded the Clara Barton Schoolhouse restoration a few years ago
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ClaraBartonSchoolhouse2016CLARA BARTON SCHOOLHOUSE AWARDED 2016 CSAA PRESERVATION GRANT


Country School Association of America (CSAA) (www.countryschoolassociation.org) headquartered in League City, Texas has awarded the Bordentown Historical Society (BHS) a 2016 Country Schoolhouse Association Preservation Grant of $1,000 grant toward the Clara Barton Schoolhouse Preservation Project. CSAA works to preserve America's early school history throughout the country.

Dr. Michael Skelly, BHS Trustee, said, "Bordentown Historical Society is pleased to be awarded this grant. It is great to be recognized by this national association for our efforts in Bordentown. This is one part of a large effort by BHS. We have been actively conducting professional preservation work and education programs so that America's history in our community can be enjoyed today and passed on to future generations."

In 1852 Clara Barton established the school. The schoolhouse was the first publicly funded community school in New Jersey that served students of all races and all economic classes. It was a huge success. Clara Barton went on to serve as a nurse in the Civil War under Dorothea Dix and later established the American Red Cross.

Bordentown Historical Society owns and operates the schoolhouse as a museum. Tours are available to the public or groups by appointment. The schoolhouse is located at the corner of Crosswicks and Burlington Streets in Bordentown City New Jersey.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FriendsMeetingHouseHistoricPhoto2
1740 Bordentown Friends Meetinghouse Returns to Historic Look

The 1740 Bordentown Friends Meetinghouse, now at 302 Farnsworth Avenue, is undergoing an extensive restoration and preservation effort that will return it to its historic appearance as shown in an 1890 photo and as reported in the 1937 Historic American Building Survey (HABS).

An evaluation of the existing masonry was completed by Schnabel Conservation in 2012. The building had its 1800’s stucco finish stripped away years ago. This caused damageFriendsMeetingHouseHistoricPhoto1Detail
to the brick and exposed the damaged brick directly to the weather for the next half century. The facade restoration project will save the 1740 Meetinghouse for future generations, by protecting its fragile Northeast facing brick fašade from rapid deterioration, and restore it to historically accurate look.

From 2012 to the present Bordentown Historical Society, local donors, 1772 Foundation, and New Jersey Historic Trust have funded and managed work on the oldest building in continuous use in Bordentown City. All work is being performed in accord with priorities and high historic standards of a Restoration Plan prepared by Westfield Architects & Preservation Consultants in 2012.

Dr. Michael Skelly, Sr., Trustee and Restoration Project Coordinator said, “When you stand inside this building you are connected to the spirit of the American Revolution. This building is a direct link to our City’s founders Thomas Farnsworth (a Quaker) who donated the land it sits on, and Joseph Borden (a Baptist) who donated the money for its original construction in 1740. It is the physical proof that our City’s founders wanted freedom of religion in this land.”

This project is made possible by your tax-deductible donations to the Bordentown Historical Society Preservation and Restoration Fund. Most donations are DOUBLED by using them as matching money for outside grants acquired by the Bordentown Historical Society. Recent tax returns for BHS are available free to donors on request.

Bordentown Historical Society members and guests recently visited the Bonaparte exhibit along with Peter Tucci who gave a personal tour.

Dr. Mike Skelly gave an informative presentation on Joseph Bonaparte on 10/13/15 at the Friends Meeting House for the Bordentown Historical Society.

line

© Copyright 2017 Bordentown Historical Society, Bordentown, NJ - All Rights Reserved
Web site designed and maintained by Sereni Web Design